【Ethiopia／Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers】 Efforts to implement UNDOKAI in Ethiopia
This project was launched to provide children with opportunities for high-quality physical education and in the three areas where JICA volunteers were dispatched, practice was undertaken daily to conduct the “Undokai”, as a Japanese traditional sport event.
We work with local teachers to produce physical education lessons that develop sportsmanship in children to underpin their education in order to give them a “zest for living”.
Additionally, we also help improve the coaching technique of physical education teachers and coordinate matters between the Sport Committee and Board of Education, so that people in Northern Ethiopia can recognize the value of physical education through this project.
- Time Period
- 1 October, 2015
- Bahar Dar, Dangla and Finote Selam of Amhara Region, Ethiopia
- Sport/Programme Category
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) JOCV：YASUNARI KURINO（Physical Education）
- Recipient Organisation
- Students in the 5/6th grade of Dilchibo Elementary School, Dangla Elementary School and Bakal Elementary School
- Amhara Region Sports Committee, Amhara Region Board of Education
- Number of Individual Beneficiaries
- Approximately 1,000 people