Tokyo International Youth (U-14) Football Tournament
This project was implemented from 2008 with the aim of promoting international exchanges and competitiveness between sister cities. Soccer teams consisting of youth soccer players who are responsible for the next generation are invited and opportunities for international exchange through sports are created.
Results include (1) The Tokyo junior generation becomes a catalyst for cross-cultural exchanges, acquiring awareness and a sense of self as international citizens, (2) The junior generation from abroad participated to discover the attractiveness of Tokyo, and persons responsible for building good relationships with Tokyo were nurtured in the partner cities as well, (3) Athletes speaking nine languages (2016 result) including Japanese gathered in one place, enabling exposure to multiple languages while in Tokyo.
- Time Period
- April 29, 2016 to May 5, 2016
- Sport/Programme Category
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government (Bureau of Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games Preparation)
- Recipient Organisation
- Foreign affairs department of each sister city
- Tokyo Football Association Tokyo Sport Benefits Corporation
- Number of Individual Beneficiaries
- (1) Hosting of football tournament: 180 people (Breakdown: 20 people each from 9 countries) (Beijing, Berlin, Cairo, Moscow, New South Wales, Paris, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Buenos Aires) (2) Players’ exchange party 143 people (3) Tokyo junior high school visit 143 people